Thursday 25 July 2013

Tail Lights

Decided to add a little variety to my catalogue and make a wagon. My choice was a departmental rigid, to keep things simple, the ZUV Grampus.

 It was reasonably successful and, with the help of Ben Yates, I managed to re-skin it into a few variations.



 When I showed the WIP to the UKTS forum I received a request for a Shark ballast plough and, unable to resist a challenge, modeled the van in three colour vaiants.



While beta testing them, Ben asked if I could add tail lights, which I thought was a good idea, so started to use the one's provided by Dave Brindley, which are available through UKTS or you can add them even easier by using RWTools.

However, I wasn't very happy with them as you have to make a separate model just for the tail light and it has to be the right way round, so back to the drawing board.

I eventually came up with an answer that seems to work ok. I added an AddATex plane to the back of the model and called it "1_0128_light_fwdtail". This is the technique for adding tail lights to loco tenders. I then added a script which tells the consist to pass any messages along the consist to the end. So, when you switch the lights on, on the loco, it sends a message to switch on the tail light that travels along the consist until it reaches the last wagon, where it turns on the light!

So, I no longer need a special wagon just for the end of a consist and the light goes on and off at the same time as the loco lights. Result!

There are a couple of minor issues when doing this. The fwdtail must be modeled in the correct orientation and facing the right way when the wagon is attached to the loco.

No comments:

Post a Comment