Wednesday 4 May 2011

Coupling

Having sorted out the stencil shadow and auto-numbering on the 4ton open goods wagon, I completed the wagon blueprint and placed the model in game using the NG couplings currently available. I didn't, however, like the look of the couplings as they were much shorter than those used on the L&B, so decided to make my own.

Thanks to the help of Captain Bazza I quickly put together a new coupling which, I felt, more closely represented the L&B version. I decided to also include the vacuum pipe, as part of the coupling model, so I could animate the linking together of the pipes when wagons couple up.

This has not been a total success as RW has hardcoded elasticity into the couplings, which means the pipes move apart when the consist is under load, as can be seen in the in game screenshot below. Not sure what to do about this issue, do I just accept it as a consequence of the game engine design, revert to a non-coupling vacuum pipe, or wait for inspiration as to how to get round the problem?

Anyway, here's an in game screenshot showing 2 wagons behind Kevin Martin's model of Lyn. The gap between the pipes is disappointing but, otherwise, I am quite pleased with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment