Monday 16 August 2010

Gradients signs

Received a list of all the gradient changes on the route, courtesy of Bob Barnard's route map (see here), so determined to make gradient signs to suit, based on the one at Woody Bay.




As I didn't want to make 60+ signs I tried to find a way to make a simple sign and add the relevant numbers when it was placed in the game. After many abortive attempts I settled on using the Railworks milepost feature to create the sign.

The problem with this method was that the data could only be input as 6 digits, so, if only 4/5 digits were required there was no obvious way to remove the surplus digits. On consideration, as 9 rarely appears in the gradient profile, I allocated the numeral 9 to a blank space so a gradient change from 55 to 135 would be input as 559135.

Unfortunately, it was not possible to make the arms adjustable in game, so in the end I had to make 10 variations of the sign, which, I think, covers all the options and is still considerably less than 60+ signs!

No comments:

Post a Comment